(c)2009 by Donna Cunningham, MSW
I heard from a number of people who had a strong 12th house after the last 12th house post. (7 Secrets You May not Know about the 12th House) Being fairly private sorts, some of the best comments weren’t on the blog but came by email. Folks, if you’re that doggone funny and wise, why hide your light under a bushel basket? But then, if you didn’t, you wouldn’t be true 12th house types, would you?
Oh, and while I’m at it, if you leave a comment that’s going to interest and enlighten the readers or even just brighten their day with a laugh, and if you have a blog or website yourself, fill in the URL on the comment box, for goodness sake. That creates a link so people can get to know you and just maybe visit your site. I don’t care if you’re a regular, do it–this site gets a ton of first time visitors. Sheesh!
Many 12th house natives have soaked up negative ideas about this position from things they read or were told by astrologers. But just so you know, having a 12th house Sun does not doom you to obscurity or forever shooting yourself in the foot. You might assume that people with their Sun there would remain hidden from the world throughout much of their lives, either by choice—being somewhat reclusive—or because of some life-long physical or emotional problem. Not so! Here are 12 well-known people who have 12th house Suns, with links to their charts and biographies online in AstroDataBank’s Birthdata Collection of Notables:
- Blair, Tony, former British Prime Minister;
- Bush, George W., former US president;
- Copperfield, David, magician;
- George Lucas, movie producer;
- Foster, Jodie, actress;
- Lagasse, Emeril, celebrity chef;
- Latifah, Queen singer, actress;
- Limbaugh, Rush, radio host;
- Myss, Caroline, spiritual teacher;
- O’Neal, Shaquille, basketball star;
- Pfeiffer, Michelle, actress; and
- Travis, Randy, country singer.
There were many more than 12, of course, but 12 in the 12th had a nice numerological ring, so I selected only those most immediately recogizeable. If you’re a 12th house type, it’s not a curse, it’s your birthright. I’ve been a 12th house person these past 67 years–Sun and Jupiter in Cancer in that house, and I love it, have (almost) always loved it, and wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s my comfort zone.
What do I LIKE about being a 12th house Sun? I had hoped you wouldn’t ask that, because it’s so hard to describe. It’s a long story—a lifelong story. If you’re interested, you can read bits of it in the category My Memoirs on this blog. Much of it has been about my ever-winding path to spiritual growth. (See Fitting onto a Blank.) Most of it has been about growth, period. The other day, I decided to attempt AARP’s challenge to write Six–Word Memoirs. Here’s mine: “Steep learning curve—my whole life.”
No matter what it looks like on the outside—even for the 12 notables in the list above—the 12th is more about your inner life than your outer life. Tend to that, and you can count yourself a success, no matter what our status-fixated, results-oriented society thinks. The 12th house path diligently pursued leads to the kinds of accomplishments that don’t fit neatly onto a resume, but they’re no less worthy of pride. I won’t go on with this today—it’s way past time to go contemplate my navel—but you get the picture. My best regards to you, my 12th house family.
Skywriter’s Complete Miniseries on the 12th house:
- A Sensitive Guide to Planets in the 12th House—Guest Blog
- 12th House People as Introverts: the Power of Solitude
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 12th House
- New Insights into the 12th House from our Q&A Session
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about the 12th—but Were Afraid to Ask
- The 12th House—Comparing Ancient and Modern Views
- 7 Secrets You May not Know about the 12th House
- Daybreak and the 12th House Sun
- 12 Famous People with 12th House Suns
- 80 Qualities of Venus in the 12th or other Venus-Neptune Combinations
- Jupiter in the 12th—When Does Good Luck Turn Bad?
- Transits from the 12th House to the 1st–Like Night and Day
See More Posts about the 12 houses of the chart in the category Houses of the Horoscope :
FREE EBOOKLET FOR SKYWRITER SUBSCRIBERS ONLY: a 50-page excerpt from my out-of-print book, The Moon in your Life, also known as Being a Lunar Type in a Solar World. Read more about it here: NEW: FREE BOOKLET FOR SKYWRITER SUBSCRIBERS! If you’re already a subscriber and want a copy, forward the most recent email post to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. To sign up for a subscription, go to the top right hand corner of the blog and click on “Subscribe.” Then send me an email with your subscription confirmation or an email post.