©11-21-2010 by Donna Cunningham, MSW
We’re engaged in a series of posts where readers ask questions about a particular house of the astrology chart in the comment section and I answer them. This time we’ll look at the 5th house.
The combination of the sign on the 5th house cusp, the sign and aspects of any planets in that house, and the ruler of the 5th describe our experiences and approach to children, romance, creativity, and leisure pursuits like hobbies. (The 5th house shows what we do for fun!) We often see a tendency to gamble or engage in other risky activities when the 5th house is strong.
The Sun and the sign Leo have a natural resonance with the 5th. They’re not exact equivalents by any means, but they share certain qualities and preoccupations.
People with a strong 5th house—like having the Sun, Moon, or several planets there—often share the Leo flair for drama, playfulness and romance and the same yearning for applause and recognition from those around them.
Self-expression is natural pursuit of the Sun in our chart, and 5th house planets are one of a number of indicators of our personal brand of creativity.
Bring on the questions, Readers!
I am happy to entertain more general questions like these:
- How can the 5th show such unrelated areas as children, gambling, and theater?
- I have a stellium in the 5th but haven’t had a date in years. Is my birth time off?
- Is Jupiter transiting the 5th a good time for games of chance?
(Yes, I’m aware that most people are really asking a question about their own or a loved one’s chart, but at least they have the class to make it a more general question that will interest other readers as well.)
There’s one earlier post in this series that I may refer to in my responses. It answers basic questions about houses and how they are set up that apply to all houses. If so, here’s the article I’ll be referring to: Readers Ask: Basic Questions about the 12 Houses.
The comment section is closed, but to read other people’s questions and answers—scroll down below this article to the comment section. Someone may have asked the question you have in mind.
Some followup articles on the 5th house:
- Things You May Not Know about the 5th House and Children
- Highlights of Our Discussion on the 5th House and Children
Readers Ask Series: (Readers’ questions and my Answers are in the Comment Sections)
- Readers Ask: Basic Questions about the 12 Houses
- Readers Ask: Q&A about the 1st House and Ascendant
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 2nd House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 3rd House, Mercury, and Gemini
- The Best of Readers’ Q & A about the 3rd House and Mercury
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 4th House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 6th House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 7th House
- Readers Ask: Q&A about the 8th House
- Readers Ask—Q & A about the 9th House
- Readers Ask—Q & A about the 10th House
- Readers Ask: Q&A about the 11th House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 12th House
- New Insights into the 12th House from our Q&A Session
- House Positions of the Nodes—Insights from Our Q&A Series
- Q&A: What Professional Astrologers Want to Know
If you enjoy exchanges like these, sign up for a subscription, and get a FREE EBOOKLET for Skywriter Subscribers Only: Mothers, Daughters, and the Moon, a 50-page excerpt from The Moon in your Life. Read more about it here: New: Free Booklet for Skywriter Subscribers!
If you’re already a subscriber and want a copy, forward the most recent email post to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. To sign up for a subscription, go to the top right hand corner of the blog and click on “Subscribe.” Then send me an email with your subscription confirmation or an email post with a request for the booklet in the subject line.
Art Credits: The clip art on this post, like the illustrations for most posts here comes from http://www.clipart.com.