©12-14-2010 by Donna Cunningham, MSW
Skywriter specializes in series of articles that explore a topic in depth. We’ve had some popular megaseries like the Q&A session on the 12 houses and the tests for planetary strength. Since those two series ended this month, I’m running a contest where readers can win copies of my ebooks if they send in the best suggestions for new series for 2011.
You’ll also find links below to some of Readers’ favorite miniseries this past year—maybe some of them will spark an idea for a winning contest entry.
Contest Details—How to Enter and Win
How you can enter: Leave your idea in the comment section of this post—one suggestion per entry. One-liners are not likely to win—describe the possible series in some depth.
If the ideas are identical, the earlier one wins, as determined by the time/date stamp on the comment. If someone else has already submitted a particular topic but your slant on it is substantially different, leave it anyway.
Prizes: The winners receive their choice of my ebooks. (See the selection at Moon Maven Publications.)
The Grand Prize Winner gets my Outer Planet Trilogy—the 3-volume set—or any 3 ebooks of their choosing.
The Honorable Mentions get their choice of one ebook. How many Honorables? As many as appeal to me for possible series.
Contest Deadline: Saturday, December 18th at Noon Pacific Time.
Qualities I’m looking for in a winning entry:
- Original, creative suggestions, one per entry
- An understanding of my particular slant on astrology
- Topics with enough facets for a series of several articles
- Details about the concept (not just a one liner listing “transits” or “aspects”)
- Room for reader participation (as in the Q&A series or the tests)
- An understanding of the limitations of a blog format
- No chart calculation or interpretation of individual charts required
- Best of all, an idea that makes me say, “I can’t wait for 2011—I’ve gotta write about this now!”
A good entry might go like this: “I’d like to see a series of articles about particular planets in the 12th house, stressing their positive, growth-producing qualities as well as ways that people have overcome some of the pitfalls associated with it. For instance, there could be separate articles on the negative and postive ways difficult planets like Mars or Saturn could be expressed. In the comment section, readers with that particular chart feature would share their experiences and what they’re doing to overcome any negative expressions.”
Readers’ Favorite Miniseries of 2010
In addition to the longer series, we’ve also had a number of miniseries that explore smaller facets of a larger topic like the 12th house or the minor aspects. Based on Readers’ enthusiastic participation, they’ve gotten great benefit out of these in-depth explorations. Since many new readers have signed on in the past couple of months, I wouldn’t want you to miss them. Below are links to Reader’s top favorites.
Series on the “Minor” Aspects: Last summer we did a research project on the lesser-known aspects like the semisquare and septile, since there’s almost no information about how they affect our lives. Readers were asked to look for these aspects in their charts and to report on how that correlates with issues and circumstances they’ve faced. There were over 500 detailed replies, making this group effort a significant contribution to our field. (The comment sections are still open, and we’d welcome your examples.) Here are 9 articles about the lesser-known aspects:
- Understanding Semisquares—Your Input Needed
- Understanding the Sesquiquadrate—Your Input Needed
- Understanding Septiles–Your Input Needed
- Understanding Quintiles—What’s YOUR Talent?
- Understanding the BiQuintile—Your Input Needed
- Quincunx vs. BiQuintile–an Answer from Numerology?
- Understanding the Mundane Square—Your Input Needed
- Mundane square case study: Outtake from a Moon-Pluto Life
- The Not so Minor Aspects—Results of Our Research
The Complete Miniseries on the 12th house: The 12th house has such a bad rap in astrology that many with significant placements there are left fearful or ashamed by what they read. Since I have my Sun and Jupiter there and wouldn’t have it any other way, I made it my mission to shed a more positive light in it.
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 12th House
- New Insights into the 12th House from our Q&A Session
- 7 Secrets You May not Know about the 12th House
- 12 Famous People with 12th House Suns
- Daybreak and the 12th House Sun
- Jupiter in the 12th—When Does Good Luck Turn Bad?
- Transits from the 12th House to the 1st–Like Night and Day
- The 12th House—Comparing Ancient and Modern Views
Relocation and Astro*Carto*Graphy Articles: I’m a certified Astro*Carto*Graphy practitioner, and with so many people needing to relocate for jobs during this financial crisis, I wanted to share some helpful perspectives on this stressful life passage.
- Relocating under Fire? Help from Astrology and Essences
- Chart Patterns for Relocation—What’s Yours?
- Can Relocation Help the Outer Planet Person?
- “Am I Gonna Move?”
- Cosmic Piñata #7: Astro*Carto*Graphy Stories
Posts Related to Boundaries: Many of Skywriter’s regular participants have Pluto or Neptune scores that are 50 or over, and many of them come from families with serious boundary issues. Since that’s one area I’ve done lots of work on, I created this series. Don’t miss the comment sections for these posts, as the sharing is powerful.
- What your Astrology Chart Says about your Boundary Issues
- Boundaries 101 ~ A Course for Neptunians
- Boundaries 201–Ten More Tips for Neptunians
- Neptune in the 11th House–Setting Boundaries in Friendship
- 6 Common Misconceptions about Boundaries in a Relationship
- Saturn in Libra: How to Set Healthy Boundaries
Posts about Chiron: While Chiron isn’t my personal strength, we’ve had a number of guest blogs on the topic this year.
- Chiron and Vocation: Do What You Love and Wholeness Will Follow
- What Planet Rules Mentorship? Saturn or Chiron?
- Chiron and Humour: Wounded Clowns that Heal Us
- Clowning Around with Chiron, Robin Williams, and an Eclipse
- Chiron Quiz: How Strong is Your Chiron? and The Chiron Resonance Quiz: What’s Your Chi-Res Score?
Good News for Chiron Lovers: As Chiron switches signs into Pisces in February, Joyce Mason, a long-time expert on Chiron, will be joining us twice–once for a Q&A Session and again for a research project on Chiron. (Need a Chiron ephemeris? Find a free one online here: Chiron Midnight Ephemeris | 1st of Every Month | 1920 – 2020 …)
Articles for Professional Astrologers: One of my missions for Skywriter is to support professionals and those who wish to become astrologers in offering high-quality services. Here are some of the posts:
- Q&A: What Professional Astrologers Want to Know
- Astrologers’ Hang-ups about Money—How they Hurt our Clients
- Awful Things Astrologers Say to Clients
- Real World Astrology—Continuing Ed for Professionals
- Tips for Working with Teenagers’ Charts
- Chart Clues to Marriage—Will You or Won’t You?
(Coming later this month—A Q&A session on building an astrology practice, hopefully the first in a monthly series for professional astrologers during 2011. Suggested topics welcome.)
UPDATE: 12/19. The contest is closed but you can read the entries in the comment section. See the results in tomorrow’s post to hear about some upcoming series for 2011.
If you’re enjoying this blog and don’t want to miss out on future series, sign up for a subscription, and get a FREE EBOOKLET for Skywriter Subscribers Only: Mothers, Daughters, and the Moon, a 50-page excerpt from The Moon in your Life. Read more about it here: New: Free Booklet For Skywriter Subscribers!
If you’re already a subscriber and want a copy, forward the most recent email post to me at firstname.lastname@example.org . To sign up for a subscription, go to the top right hand corner of the blog and click on “Subscribe.” Then send me an email with your subscription confirmation or an email post with a request for the booklet in the subject line.