©2008 by Donna Cunningham, MSW
I call Mars-Pluto aspects, especially the conjunction, the manifestation magnet. In birth charts, it is the aspect of a magician, and that’s true for transits as well. It’s inherently neither a positive nor a negative aspect. Some use it against themselves and others, attracting destructive outcomes by obsessing on resentments. They generally have no awareness of the consequences of dwelling in such negativity. Others who have it natally use the combination for good by consciously and conscientiously focusing on healing and transformation.
With Mars-Pluto aspects natally or by transit, the energy of manifestation is fueled by awareness and one-pointed intention. We can choose to “aim” the arrow of our thoughts toward some desirable end. What makes intention so very important during these next several years is that Pluto is newly in the sign Capricorn, the sign of structures and strictures, of seeing reality clearly and coping with it effectively by letting go of non-essentials.
A pitfall of this combination is that Saturn-ruled Capricorn often descends into fearfulness and pessimism, especially when confronted by a harsh environment. It’s true that Capricornians are tough and will persevere despite prolonged hardship–the goat that climbs a mountain–and those qualities will stand them in good stead now. My mentor, Rod Chase used to call Capricorn the sign of the comeback, citing Richard Nixon and Muhammed Ali as the prime examples of that era.
Let’s all be Come Back Kids. Let’s harness the power of transiting Mars-Pluto apects, whenever they occur, to come back stronger than ever from any losses we are experiencing.
For the next 14 years, Pluto will be in Capricorn, and so all transiting aspects between Mars and Pluto will carry the influence of that sign. Capricorns are well-known to be good at planning and long-range goals. What goals can you support by aiming your intention? Mars is the planet of action–what concrete, smart, practical actions can you take right away? Make the goal a realizable one rather than pie in the sky. Set your sights on a measurable bit of progress (“By this summer, I’ll have a blog of my own”), not a vague one like, “I want to be more fulfilled.”
Here are some of the transiting Mars-Pluto aspects in the next several years. Since Pluto moves so slowly, all of them occur in the earliest degrees of the signs, somewhere between 0-8°:
- Mars conjunct Pluto early-mid December, 2010
- Mars square Pluto (5° range) early-mid April, 2011
I’ve never been a fan of New Year’s resolutions, but what I do each year is to make a list of things I want to accomplish by the end of that year–maybe five or ten mission-critical goal I realistically can finish in 12 months by honest effort. At the end of the year, I look at that list, and have almost always completed them all. I recommend Dr. Wayne W. Dyer’s techniques from The Power of Intention. (See more articles on manifestation vs. being stuck in the category “Metaphysics” at the side of this blog.)
At this key juncture in our collective lives, this potent combination can be an asset. What will you do with it?
Note: If you have a natal Mars-Pluto aspect and want more guidance on how to use it well…and how NOT to use it, there is an entire chapter on this combination in my ebook, Outer Planet Aspects to Venus and Mars: The Outer Planets and Inner Life, Volume 2, available at http://www.moonmavenpublications.com/astrologybooks.html.
More Posts about Mars on this Blog:
- Mars and Anger—the Guard Dog of Denial
- Mars Stationary and Conflict—Road Block or Productive Detour?
- Mars—What Great Minds say about Its Functions
- The Law of Progressive Annoyance—Mars or Jupiter?
- Johnny Depp’s Darker Roles—Where Do They Show in his Chart?
- Piracy on the High Seas and the Pirates among Us: The Transiting Mars-Uranus Conjunction
- The Mars-Uranus Conjunction in Pisces and Children Born with it
- It’s Baaaaaack–The Mars Hoax!
More Posts about Pluto on this Blog:
- How Strong is your Pluto? Here’s the Score!
- PlutoPaloozas, Here’s Plenty of Pluto Posts!
- The Pluto-Saturn Preparedness Kit—an Overview of the Series
- The Pluto-Saturn Preparedness Kit—Part 1 (Houses and Areas of Life Affected)
- Pluto meets Saturn on the Square—Fear and Loathing in America
- 6 Things You May Not Know about Pluto
- Pluto in the Career Houses–The Power to Manifest or Fail for Spite
- Vocational Angst for the Pluto-Uranus in Virgo Generation
- High Maintenance–a Venus-Pluto Vignette
- Healing Tools For Plutonians: Transforming The Self And Others
- Purge Yourself of Pluto’s Negativity—Get Free of Bitterness
If this post was helpful, DON’T MISS THE NEXT INSTALLMENT IN THIS SERIES. Sign up for a subscription, and get a FREE EBOOKLET for Skywriter Subscribers Only: Mothers, Daughters, and the Moon, a 50-page excerpt from The Moon in your Life. Read more about it here: NEW: FREE BOOKLET FOR SKYWRITER SUBSCRIBERS!
If you’re already a subscriber and want a copy, forward the most recent email post to me at email@example.com. To sign up for a subscription, go to the top right hand corner of the blog and click on “Subscribe.” Then send me an email with your subscription confirmation or an email post with a request for the booklet in the subject line.