©12-3-2010 by Donna Cunningham, MSW
This is part of a series of posts where readers ask questions about a particular house of the astrology chart in the comment section and I answer them. This time we’ll look at the 8th house and a variety of uncomfortable topics associated with it. (There’s a reason why this house came last in the series!)
The combination of the sign on the 8th house cusp, the sign and aspects of any planets in that house, and the ruler of the 8th describe our experiences and approach to sexuality, birth, death, rebirth, healing, regeneration, transformation, taxes, and debt.
The 2nd house/8th house axis is a clue to personal finance, and you’ll find links below to a series on the topic here on Skywriter. The 2nd house shows money we earn. Money that comes from outside sources instead of a paycheck is seen in the 8th, including the partner’s money, inheritances, legal settlements, subsidies, grants, royalties, scholarships, and disability payments. (If it’s hard for you to talk about money, see Astrologers’ Hang-ups about Money—How they Hurt our Clients.)
Pluto and the sign Scorpio have a natural resonance with the 8th. They’re not exact equivalents by any means, but they share certain qualities. People with a strong 8th house—like having the Sun, Moon, or several planets there—often share the Scorpio fascination with sex, death, and transformation.
Bring on the questions, Readers!I am happy to entertain general questions like these:
- Does the ruler of the 7th in the 8th mean I’ll marry a rich man?
- Is it recommended to have surgery when you’re having an 8th house transit?
- “My Friend” has a stellium in the 8th but hasn’t had a lover in years. Should she try a new deodorant or a new house system?
Yes, I’m aware that most people are really asking a question about their own or a loved one’s chart, but at least they have the class to make it a more general question that will interest other readers as well.)
UPDATE: This session is closed, but to read other people’s questions and answers—scroll down below this article to the comment section. Maybe someone else asked yours. You might also enjoy: Everything You Ever Wondered about the 8th House…
More Houses in the Readers Ask Series:
- Readers Ask: Q&A about the 1st House and Ascendant
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 2nd House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 3rd House, Mercury, and Gemini
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 4th House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 6th House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 7th House
- Readers Ask—Q & A about the 9th House
- Readers Ask—Q & A about the 10th House
- Readers Ask: Q&A about the 11th House
- Readers Ask: Q & A about the 12th House
Related Posts about Pluto and the 8th house:
- Saturn and Uranus Transits to the 2nd/8th House Axis
- Neptune Transits to the 2nd-8th Axis—Time to Get Real about Money
- Pluto Transits to the 2nd or 8th —Money Issues Get Murky
- Living Off the Books—an 8th House Quicksand
- How Strong is your Pluto? Here’s the Score!
- PlutoPaloozas, Here’s Plenty of Pluto Posts!
- Put Yourself in Scorpio’s Shoes
- Pluto Problems Got You Perplexed? Here’s What Helps!
If you enjoy exchanges like these, sign up for a subscription, and get a FREE EBOOKLET for Skywriter Subscribers Only: Mothers, Daughters, and the Moon, a 50-page excerpt from The Moon in your Life. Read more about it here: New: Free Booklet for Skywriter Subscribers!
If you’re already a subscriber and want a copy, forward the most recent email post to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. To sign up for a subscription, go to the top right hand corner of the blog and click on “Subscribe.” Then send me an email with your subscription confirmation or an email post with a request for the booklet in the subject line.
Art Credits: The clip art on this post, like the illustrations for most posts here comes from http://www.clipart.com.